May 9 the regiment crossed the Rappahannock for the tenth and last time, as it marched toward Washington and home. The regiment arrived in Readville, Massachusetts, at seven o'clock in the morning, June 6, 1865. The records of the company are responsible for the statement that here the Light Guard, after thirty-four months of faithful service, basely deserted! Nobody blamed them then, and certainly no one does now, for what mortal man could stand being cooped up in barracks, only a few miles from home, which he had not seen for almost three years? But all went back again, and on June 9 appeared at the Providence Station, Boston, where they were received by the Lawrence Rifles, Capt. B. F. Hayes, the Boston Cornet Band, and a large delegation of citizens of Medford, under the marshalship of Gen. S. C. Lawrence, through whose agency the captain had been able to receive special permission for their return that day. Mr. Nathan Bridge made an address of welcome in behalf of the selectmen. After a march through Boston the company took the train to Medford. The arrival of the train at Park street was announced by the booming of cannon, which was echoed by several other pieces stationed in different parts of the town. The records say, ‘By their incessant roar they seemed determined to remind us of the many trying scenes through which we had so recently passed.’ After a march through several of the principal streets to West Medford, where a collation was furnished by the citizens of that part of the town, the company returned to the square, where they were entertained by the Lawrence Rifles at their armory in Usher's Building. The town gave the Light Guard a reception on June 14, and another was given by Washington Engine Co., No. 3, at Green Mountain Grove on the twenty-eighth.1
These were days of rejoicing, but the booming of cannon, the huzzas, and the music only drowned the sounds