Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

private chat messages-

mamiller01
Newcomer
Newcomer

Can the hosts read others private chat messages

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ZoomZoomZoom007 I'm Andy, the creator of ZoomOSC. I'd like to offer you and our other readers some information about the application in response to your claims. ZoomOSC does NOT have the ability to do things like snooping on private DMs between far-end users, see who someone else has pinned, etc. ZoomOSC is built upon the Zoom Meeting SDK, which itself follows the business logic of the Zoom Workplace app with regard to the meetings experience. For example, if the Zoom Workplace app could not see a message between users, then ZoomOSC in the identical context would not have the ability to read and export that message to OSC because the Meeting SDK would not surface it. ZoomOSC and the Meeting SDK are not designed to manipulate restrictions imposed to Zoom Workplace. Instead, they are powerful tools for accessing the capabilities of Workplace in the context where those capabilities are operable. In addition, for any lingering concerns about ZoomOSC's legitimate capabilities, users have a plethora of management tools at their disposal thanks to the Zoom App Marketplace. For example, ZoomOSC triggers the Active App Notifier, revealing to all Zoom participants that a Meeting SDK application has access to certain data with hyperlinks for further reading. Admins can control the presence of ZoomOSC or other Meeting SDK applications in their meetings and webinars. And the best part of all of this work is that you don't need to take my word for it. You can independently review the validity of my claims by visiting the https://developer.zoom.us website and referencing documents like our Meeting SDK for macOS guides https://developers.zoom.us/docs/meeting-sdk/macos/ which includes the SDK reference. I hope you take the time to review!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

No. In my experience:

• Each participant who saves Chat gets a file of their own private messages plus the public messages (to everyone).
  • Any recording (Cloud or local) includes only the public messages.
  • Live during the meeting, each person can only see public messages and their own private messages. 

See this Zoom Support article for general information on saving Zoom Meeting Chats:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004792763-Saving-In-Meeting-Chat 

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

S1DD
Newcomer
Newcomer

No. Like  Ray_Harwood said, you can hosts can only read their own private messages and public messages.

MMCSFLLC
Newcomer
Newcomer

What about if the meeting is hosted on a private server? Isn’t it possible for the server owner ergo the meeting host to see a record of the private messages?

Ray_Harwood

Sure, if the host has data separately stored and it’s not secured, someone else can get to it. But I don’t think that’s what we’re talking about. 

There’s no “private Zoom server.”  Even if you have an On-Premise Deployment at your location, it behaves according to Zoom rules – user and meeting metadata are still managed in the Zoom public cloud

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

ZoomZoomZoom007
Newcomer
Newcomer

The replies you received previously are less than accurate on their face. I would’ve hoped Zoom would be more responsible in disclosing the reality behind privacy within their platform. The truth is there are alternate versions of zoom which give the participant ability to perform a wide range of actions which have the potential to compromise the privacy of others within a room. Someone with Zoom OSC can not only read any private conversation in the room, they can also see who a participant has pinned, as well as a participant’s IP address. They can even send messages posing as a separate participant in the room without anyone knowing these abnormalities are occurring. It is a powerful tool which offers endless possibilities to manipulate the standard restrictions set on Zoom Workplace.

Hi @ZoomZoomZoom007 I'm Andy, the creator of ZoomOSC. I'd like to offer you and our other readers some information about the application in response to your claims. ZoomOSC does NOT have the ability to do things like snooping on private DMs between far-end users, see who someone else has pinned, etc. ZoomOSC is built upon the Zoom Meeting SDK, which itself follows the business logic of the Zoom Workplace app with regard to the meetings experience. For example, if the Zoom Workplace app could not see a message between users, then ZoomOSC in the identical context would not have the ability to read and export that message to OSC because the Meeting SDK would not surface it. ZoomOSC and the Meeting SDK are not designed to manipulate restrictions imposed to Zoom Workplace. Instead, they are powerful tools for accessing the capabilities of Workplace in the context where those capabilities are operable. In addition, for any lingering concerns about ZoomOSC's legitimate capabilities, users have a plethora of management tools at their disposal thanks to the Zoom App Marketplace. For example, ZoomOSC triggers the Active App Notifier, revealing to all Zoom participants that a Meeting SDK application has access to certain data with hyperlinks for further reading. Admins can control the presence of ZoomOSC or other Meeting SDK applications in their meetings and webinars. And the best part of all of this work is that you don't need to take my word for it. You can independently review the validity of my claims by visiting the https://developer.zoom.us website and referencing documents like our Meeting SDK for macOS guides https://developers.zoom.us/docs/meeting-sdk/macos/ which includes the SDK reference. I hope you take the time to review!