macOS Firefox: Disable system Security Key Prompt

romanzipp
romanzipp
Community Member
edited September 6 in 1Password in the Browser

I would like to create a security key for a Microsoft account. When trying so, the macOS system dialog will prevent 1Password from accessing/saving the newly created Security Key from Microsoft.

For clarification, this is may not be a 1Password issue. Maybe anyone else has a suggestion on how to disable the macOS dialog on saving Security Keys.

Reproduction

• Go to: https://account.live.com/proofs/Manage/additional
  • Click "Add a new way to sign in or verify"
  • Click "Face, fingerprint, PIN, or security key"
  • An empty 1Password box will appear in the top right corner
  • After a few seconds, the native macOS prompt will appear in the middle
  • Cancelling the native macOS prompt will redirect you back to the MS security settings where the process has to be started over again

System Settings

I have the "Passwords" App installed

1Password Version: 8.10.39 (81039001)
Extension Version: 2.27.1
OS Version: macOS 15.0 (24A5298h)
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hello, @romanzipp. Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry about the issue you're running into with 1Password in the browser. Based on the details, since 1Password in the browser couldn't save the passkey, the option to save the passkey fell back to the browser.

I've done some testing and didn't run into the same behaviour, and the 1Password extension offered the Save passkey prompt to save it to 1Password.

Does this problem occur on all websites or just this specific one? Does restarting the 1Password desktop app and then your browser improve the behaviour?

-Evon