cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

24/7 Nest Camera POE

hydroz23
Community Member
I have a couple Nest Cameras Outdoor (Battery).

Will 24/7 recording work when plugged in via POE?

The camera shows that it is plugged and I can view live video. I have the Nest Aware Plus subscription and the "view 60-day event and 10 day 24/7 video history" option is enabled in the settings.

Can you comment if you have a setup like this and 24/7 recording works? I know the AC adapter will work but not an option.  I have already chatted with Google support which was useless.  They said it would start working in 24 hours after subscription synced and its been 3 days. 

Screenshot_20240703-084731.pngScreenshot_20240703-085552.png
9 REPLIES 9

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

So as I understand it the camera does not know your power source is POE.  You are simply converting the POE connection to what the camera sees as 5Volts coming in via a USB connection just like as if it was a USB Ac adapter. 

So to answer your question if the camera records 24/7 when plugged in AC power then it should also work from POE the way you are doing it.   

Can you plug it it to an AC adapter just to confirm it is recording 24/7?

I actually don't have the AC cable, just the charging cable that came with it.  I was hoping not to buy one just to test this since I wont be using the AC adapter.    

@hydroz23 

We have a battery camera and the optional power cable and adapter.  Your camera should have come with a charging cord and a charging adapter; ours did.  Based on other posts in this forum, it seems unclear whether the charging adapter that comes with the camera is suitable for powering the camera on an ongoing basis; some customers report problems trying to use it that way.  I don't know what the specs are, but the charging adapter that comes with the camera looks quite different from the adapter that comes with the optional 10-meter power cable.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Looking that the GOOGLE STORE website it seems they go out of their way on the "NEST CAM + OUTDOOR POWER CABLE to include the wording "24/7 Video History with Nest Aware Subscription" but that wording is not included anywhere  on the description of the "NEST CAM(Outdoor or Indoor battery)

see attached

Yes it is just listed in the specs that it can when powered.  I cant be the only one who has powered a Nest cam this way.  Just want to confirm that 24/7 recording is or is not possible using this exact installation.  

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Good catch,  I didn't see that.  Hopefully someone will chime in. But in the mean time can you just try it and see if it works?

I did try it and 24/7 recording does not work with the POE adapter (5Volt) or the charging block (5volt) that comes with the nest camera.  It shows that it is plugged in but does not record unless there is an event.  

@hydroz23 

That's odd. When you go to your cameras in the Google Home app and toggle between Timeline and Events, what do you see?

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/10904254

As I mentioned above, some customers in this forum have reported their cameras don't function properly as plugged in if they are using the charging adapter that came with the camera, rather than the adapter that comes with the optional power cable.

@MplsCustomer I really appreciate your comment and apparently I just didn't know what I was doing (first nest cameras). The timeline toggle is working and everything is there.