[nafex] Re: Raspberries, blackberries, and fungus

Ginda,
    If you look at the underside of the leaves and there are orange
dots, then the disease is probably orange rust.  Orange rust from my
exeperience and what I've read, is systemic to the plant (meaning you
can't treat or spray the plant), and pretty much shuts production of
fruit down.  I'm not sure if OR looks orange at this time of year or
only in mid-season.

One blessing you have is that red raspberries appear to be immune to
OR.  But black raspberries are not.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., Ginda Fisher <ginda@c...> wrote:
> I have a short row of Fall Red raspberries, which is just about
finished
> bearing its fall crop.  I also have lots of small wild
blackberries.
> The blackberries are a weed - rarely fruitful, and the fruit they do
> bear is very small (typically 2-6 druplets per berry), seedy, and
only
> so-so in flavor.  They also have fierce thorns.  I can't get rid of
> them, because they are rampant just across the property line in two
> directions, but I do cut them back and occasionally pull them out.
(I
> would pull them out more often if not for the thorns.)  The
blackberry
> plants on my property are all small, but there are some big canes
in my
> neighbor's thicket.
>
> I just noticed that many of the blackberries have leaves that look
> freckled - lots of small yellow dots.  They are fairly round, less
than
> an eighth of an inch, and on close inspection, look very fungal to
me.
> I haven't seen any freckles on the raspberries, but am worried about
> possiible contagion.  There are more spots on the blackberries in my
> yard, because most of the ones in the neighbors' yards have turned
brown
> for the year.  It's been very dry for the last three months, and my
> blackberries have probably kept green because they are relatively
close
> to baby trees that I've been irrigating.  I haven't actually
watered the
> blackberries, but I'm sure the ground is damper by proximity to
stuff I
> have watered.  The blackberries grow in light shade.
>
> Anyone know what this is, and whether I should worry, and if so,
what I
> should do?
>
> Thanks,
> Ginda Fisher
> eastern Mass., zone 6
>
> p.s.  To those of you who've wished me more berries:  The fall crop
of
> raspberries has been abundant enough to make it inside.  We've even
> filled small dishes and given them to friends.  We haven't had
enough to
> make jam, but that's okay - this is the one crop that we can nibble
on
> for months, but that doesn't demand that we process it before it
> spoils.  It did ripen much earlier this year than last - probably
> because I've watered it.  I think raspberries (or at least, this
> raspberry) just hold their little white berries until there is
plenty of
> water, and then ripen a few berries in each cluster.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pv4pGD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM