Re: [nafex] Hole in Apple tree

Hi Derry,
My father in law has done both - drilled the hole to drain and eventually filled with
cement. He scraped out all rotting or moist wood first and also capped it with sheet
metal to keep out additional moisture. It has been about ten years since and the tree
appears fine. I personally feel that depending on the extent of damage, age of tree,
etc., if the hole is drilled and the inside kept from further rotting, the tree should
be fine as long as the actively growing tissues can stay healthy. Cement can be useful
for adding strength to an otherwise weakened trunk.
vic NH zone 3