Re: [nafex] mulberry

At 06:27 PM 06/14/2001 +0000, Del wrote:
>I have purchesed a 'siberian mulberry' and a 'northern mulberry' hoping to
>get something to grow and  fruit here  (had a black mulberry back
>home..great pies.)

I suspect that both of these are probably seedling M.alba selections, but
don't know for sure.
Bill MacKently offers a tissue-cultured M.alba selection, "Northrop" from
St.Lawrence Nurseries(http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us) that's supposed to have
survived -50F.

I've seen a bit of confusion on classification of the various named
mulberry selections, with many of the 'better' ones classified as
M.rubraXM.alba hybrids.  Wellington, selected at Geneva, NY, is supposed to
be a very good one, and I've seen it classified both as M.nigra and
M.rubraXalba.  Mine hasn't fruited yet - hope to get a few berries off of
it this year.  Has experienced some pretty significant winter-kill here in
southern KY, so I have some doubt that it'd work well in MN...

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY