Re: [nafex] Quinces in Portugal

Bob,

I can't seem to link with your web site ... maybe there is an error in the address
or maybe my computer is sulking.

Webster's dictionary defines marmalade as a jam-like preserve of citrus fruits.

I always think of 'marmalade' as being made of oranges and lemons and maybe
grapefruits.

The quinces we use here for jelly are Cydonia oblonga. I have used Chaenomeles
japonica.

There is a variety of Cydonia sp. called 'Portugal'.   Now these Cydonia are very
hard when picked and they ripen in storage, but they don't soften up much (in my
experience).  Maybe in a warmer area, e.g. Portugal, they would soften and sweeten
on the tree.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase  email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page  http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

: I ran across the following on the net (at www.manorhouses.com/food.htm  ).
:
: "In Portugal there are two distinct kinds of quince.  One is marmeleiro
: which gives marmelos, hence the name marmelada given to the jam made
: from these fruits.  The other is gamboeira whose fruit is called gamnoa,
: which is bigger, smoother and sweeter than its counterpart but once
: these fruits are made into jams or jellies it is difficult to
: distinguish the difference between the two."
:
: Does anyone have more information on the difference?
:
: The piece adds "Quince jam (Marmelada) is also called quince cheese
: since when the jam has dried it can be eaten like cheese." !!
:
: Bob Hartley,  PA Z6
:
: