[nafex] Re: 'Improved' varieties

I must agree with Claude, that Haralred is an exception to the red
sport rule of thumb (sayin that redder means less flavor.)  Frank
Foltz and Mr Manhardt (sp?) or whoever wrote Apples for a 21st
Century both concur also. Although I think that Haralson is a little
better than Haralred by the month of May, but just a tiny bit more
agreeable.

The only other improvement in flavor I know of going to a red sport
would be Connell Red. Or at least its definately as good as Fireside.

There was a chemical analysis done of color vs flavor in Delicious
(it was either in an old Pomona or Fruit Varieties Journal) and it
was proven that better skin color equates to poorer flavor. The
article emphasized that this was only proven in Delicious. It is a
wonder to me that the biggest selling commercial apple is the worst
tasting.
Kevin B

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/15/_/423498/_/972447497/