      1. Re: mycorrhizal  innoculants
           From: "Kieran or Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
      2. Re: Prunus germination
           From: Carolyn Wood <natvwine@cut.net>
      3. Pear rootstocks
           From: Carolyn Wood <natvwine@cut.net>
      4. Re: labels
           From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
      5. Re: Country Boy
           From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
      6. Re: Pear rootstocks
           From: DocKW@aol.com
      7. Re: Re: Prunus germination
           From: "J. Rosano II" <GIANNI-2@prodigy.net>
      8. Re: Re: Prunus germination
           From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
      9. re: germinating prunus
           From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca>
     10. Re: Re: Prunus germination
           From: "J. Rosano II" <GIANNI-2@prodigy.net>
     11. Re: Re: Prunus germination
           From: "J. Rosano II" <GIANNI-2@prodigy.net>
     12. RE: American Persimmons-Female on Male Graft?
           From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
     13. Re: Country Boy
           From: "Gordon C. Nofs" <gcnofs@hotmail.com>
     14. Re: mycorrhizal  innoculants
           From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
     15. Re: RE: Trace minerals
           From: Sam Franc <franc@harborside.com>
     16. Re: Pear rootstocks
           From: Fluffy Bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
     17. Unknown attachments
           From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>

Message: 1
   Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 07:52:50 -0500
   From: "Kieran or Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
Subject: Re: mycorrhizal  innoculants

Gianni,
    What a story!  I must order that stuff immediately!  Water is only a big
problem when  we NEED it.  When it rains a whole lot and we don't need it,
we have plenty.   The big trouble is watering pots, as the hotter and drier
it is, the less likely we are to have water to spare.  I put my 2 citrus
trees in the ground every summer, eliminates watering.  Forget fruit in
these conditions though.  They spend their winters at various places,
usually friends houses, and get neglected, so they don't have the stored
reserves to get going in spring.  A friend took good care of them last
winter, and the lemon is in bloom now.  I'll get them with the fungus, I
have "control" summers to compare to.
    As a rule the garden does okay, I have hauled a lot of buckets from the
spring during some pretty bad droughts, and carried my stuff through when
everyone elses died.  (Luckily that spring kept running that year)  I sort
of imagined I'd have a fine set of symbiotic fungi, with all the organic
matter in the soil, but it sounds like this company has got some really
vigorous strains.  In fact, I have considered Doreen's comment on 250 lbs
fruit from a single tomato plant, and am wondering about the nightmare I
might have with my 100 or so tomato plants.  Of course, it would be the kind
of nightmare every gardener dreams of!  I tend to be satisfied with garden
production, but I would REALLY like to see my young fruit and nut trees get
going well.  They have suffered the most from the terrible soil we've
got...and no Dan, I'm not swapping, I got out of Florida because of the
awful soil and climate there.  Harvey Lisle, retired soil scientist and
NAFEXer, said Australian farmers would think they were in Heaven if they
could have a little of our crummier land.  They have only got about 1/2 of
1% organic matter in their soils.  Chemical fertilizers do not work for
them, that's why Biodynamics is a pretty big deal there.
    The real problem with the product I have is that the instructions are to
spray it on the ground.  I have a little 2 gallon sprayer, on it's last gasp
now, (I've given it as many lives as a cat jerry-rigging it), and I don't
fancy the thought of walking around with it spraying every inch of 1/4 acre
garden, then going for all the fruit trees.  Not my idea of fun, even if I
break down and buy a new backpack sprayer.
    I'm pretty sure that the 2 types of bacteria I have fix N and P, and
that's really all they do. With a name like "Rhizobium" you'd think they
would live in or with the plant roots, but I'm pretty sure that they are
free-living....no, that's an Azobactor that sets N on it's own.  This is a
pretty esoteric subject, we're not gonna be able to ask the county agent or
a regular farmer or fertilizer dealer about it.   Nor is the info likely to
be in my micro book, which is mostly on pathogens.  It's pretty strange to
think we're discussing products that are right on the cutting edge.  Do you
realize that product you are using could potentially bring down the entire
agrichemical industry?    Donna