Advertisement

Protecting my concept

Started by October 03, 2024 12:51 AM
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 2 days, 3 hours ago

Hello folks,

Googling some of my worries led me to this forum, and it looks like it is a wealth of resources.

So, I have been studying on my own for the last 3 years to get into the industry. I have made a concept/prototype to pitch for a mobile games publisher. At first contact, it was a video call. I explained to them it is not only a hypercasual game core but it is also a solution for monetizing F2P mobile games, LTV and player retention. A scalable concept to solve some problems. They told me how they work receiving prototypes, putting them on KPI tests, and if they pass, they can publish it. I understand that, I did not pitch the playable game, because I wanted to collaborate with them to develop it from scratch, so it could be scalable and ready to have future implementations and LiveOps…anyway, I kept working on the prototype, refined it and brainstorming ideas for the metagame, partnering, game economy, and contacted them again, Sent screenshots of the gameplay, videos.. screenshots of the documents… GDD, research, marketing, and game overview.. and I even gave them access to my online Project document(before denying access lately). They answered me, "Thank you for sharing this with us, and we will get back to you next week). It's been 2 weeks, They did not.

I don't say they have bad intentions or something, I understand people are busy in this industry and receive tons of emails daily, but it would feel bad if, months later, I saw my project published in their collection without me knowing.

It is a bit vast and blurry, but can I protect myself with some emails and screenshots? I have my project files saved online and offline that date from months ago?

Sorry for the long message and thank you

TMan012 said:
can I protect myself with some emails and screenshots? I have my project files saved online and offline that date from months ago?

Documentation is part of it. Keeping a log of conversations and dates is also helpful, especially if it can be backed up with telephone company records. But all of it can be argued against in court (timestamps can be altered, and a log can be post-written, they can argue). Signed agreements help. But litigation is very expensive no matter how much proof of IP ownership you have.

The fact that you've gotten this far in conversations with a mobile publisher is remarkable. Most game publishers refuse to consider outside submissions, especially from individuals who don't have industry experience. I wouldn't worry too much about them stealing your ideas and making your concept without you, because it's unlikely they'd go through all the trouble and expense and legal risk. If they do come back receptive to your concept, you should get a written agreement about the working relationship going forward. There's a stickied post in this forum (Games Business and Law) listing some game attorneys. You'll want someone to help you ensure the agreement doesn't have any hidden gotchas. Good luck!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement