[Chimera-users] Morphing a residue through MD trajectories

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Sun Aug 2 10:37:33 PDT 2015

Hi Ken,
I thought George was asking about showing something as completely immobile (frozen) at the same time as the movements of some of the atoms in his trajectory.  That is what you could do with the separate PDB file. However, I could have misinterpreted the question.  Sometimes it is hard to guess what is going on!

There is a “hold steady” option in MD Movie that tries to keep the (user-)specified atoms *within* the trajectory in the same place as much as possible. In that case, there will generally be slight movements as the relationships among even the specified atoms changes, but it should cut down on the large-scale movements of that group as a whole.  In that case you would not need a separate PDB file for anything.

The option is in the MD Movie menu: Actions… Hold selection steady.
Best,
Elaine
-----
Elaine C. Meng, Ph.D.
UCSF Computer Graphics Lab (Chimera team) and Babbitt Lab
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
University of California, San Francisco