cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to gigabit plan from 500 Mbps plan but speed is still 450 Mbps

KawalSandhu
Neighbour

Recently I upgraded to Gigabit internet plan from 500 Mbps plan but my WiFi download speed is still not going beyond 450 Mbps. Upload speed has increased upto 600 Mbps. It doesn't make sense to pay $10 extra if download speed is going to be same as it was on 500 Mbps plan.

I have three WiFi 6 mesh routers setup in my house and laptop is showing very strong WiFi signal(Excellent). My laptop is also brand new with WiFi 6 support. Even when I sit beside WiFi router, still speed is not exceeding 450 Mbps.

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Connect to ethernet and then test your speeds. There are so many things that can impact with wifi that the speed can never be guaranteed no matter which service provider you use. Also check the specs for the Wifi 6 router you are using, and even your PC. Different wifi channels can have different speeds also.

With the way that mesh routers work, if you put 1gbps in, you'll never see that speed anywhere on the mesh routers, even if you have some seriously expensive hardware. A small number will have faster speeds than the rest. Some Wifi 6 mesh routers only advertise 500mpbs speeds, like Eero 6 does. The more mesh satellite nodes you have, the more the speed can potentially decrease.

Cnet did a comparison between some of the more common ones. I imagine others will be similar based on price of the hardware.

mesh-router-speed-leaderboard-november-2023.jpg

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Telus representative should have told me about this. It doesn't make sense to pay $10 extra if I will be getting same speed as I was getting on 500 Mbps plan.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The speeds advertised for fibre are always based on ethernet. Wifi speeds cannot be guaranteed. If you were using ethernet, you would have noticed the speed increase easily when testing.

The reps are not going to have knowledge of the huge variety of networking equipment out there. Mesh wifi equipment in general, and as designed, always has slower speeds than a single high powered non mesh Wifi 6/6E/7 access point.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I tried turning off two routers and speed is still same when using one router. I am not saying that I should get exactly 1 gigabit but at least it should give more than 700. Right now it's just giving 450 Mbps which is not even half of advertisement. So sales person should know what they are selling. I called tech support and they told me that sales representative should have clarified this at the time of upgrade.

xray
Hero

What's the laptop show for WiFi link speed?

You need to eliminate any WiFi issues from your measurement of Internet speed by doing the test using gigabit Ethernet. If that measurement is only 500 mbps then call TELUS tech support. If you tell them you are measuring over 1Gbps Ethernet then you just saved yourself 30 minutes of them telling you to go through the WiFi remedies.