Different use of Apple Numbers database

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Aug 1, 2024 7:01 PM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2024 11:35 AM in response to thatchamo

This whole idea of listing the players each player has not played is going to be a hot mess until all players have played almost all other players. I have changed the formulas to match your more recent explanation but I am thinking you might be better off simply applying a conditional highlight (conditional cell fill color) to the cells that are 0 and then pan around to find who hasn't played who.

You can expand these tables. I kept them the same size as before.

Names are listed in Table 1 column A

Table 1::B1 =OFFSET($A$1,COLUMN()−1,0)

Fill right to complete the row

Table 2::B1 =Table 1::B1

Fill down to complete the column

Table 2::B2 =IF(AND(Table 1::B2≠"",Table 1::B2=0),Table 1::B$1,"")

Fill across and down to complete the columns and rows, except the last column

Last column is the same as before

K2 =TRIM(TEXTJOIN(" ",TRUE,B2:J2))

fill down to complete the column

Hide columns B:J

Aug 1, 2024 9:55 PM in response to thatchamo

I moved everything up a row on the data table (Table 1). You left the header row blank and started in row 2 for some reason.

Formulas in Table 2 are

B2 =IF(AND(Table 1::B2≠"",Table 1::B2=0),Table 1::$A2&Table 1::B$1,"")

Fill down to the end of the table and across to column J

K2 =TRIM(TEXTJOIN(" ",TRUE,B2:J2))

Fill down to the end of the table.

One day if/when Apple fixes a bug in TEXTJOIN, TRIM will no longer be needed in this formula.

Hide columns B:J in Table 2.

If you don't want column A, delete it.

Aug 3, 2024 10:05 AM in response to Badunit

Thanks, Badunit

What I posted was a reduction and simplification of a 4,225 cell golf database in which 65 golfers are named across the top in row 1 and the same golfers on the far left in column 1. Intersections show the number of times players have played together in the last 4 months. One part of my intention was to list in pairs the golfers who have never played together (there are, ha ha, many reasons in golf), and to offer the organizer of these weekly tournaments a chance to join some players for the first time. I will attempt to adapt your formula to the bigger database, which will be a challenge for a non-programmer.

Thanks again,

Thatchamo

Aug 4, 2024 9:34 AM in response to Badunit

I already have the non-combos marked with 0000, to stand out. Will try your formula as well. My daughter-in-law, who brilliantly set up the big table from a standard listing of who played when and with whom, is coming for dinner this afternoon and if I can't make your formula work, she may be able to. Anyhow, won't bother you again, thanks a million, Badunit, for taking the time to help me out.

Thatchamo

Different use of Apple Numbers database

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.