Can we switch the default terminal to Visual Studio Code in Mac?

I am just asking I know this is apple but since some people are all apple fans are using vs code in the built in terminal can the terminal for Mac be deactivated or replaced like switch over like say we like vs code's terminal can we have that as a default terminal since it's built in?

Justin

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Jul 11, 2024 8:14 PM

5 replies

Jul 11, 2024 8:28 PM in response to Macri007

Macri007 Said:

"terminal for Mac : I am just asking I know this is apple but since some people are all apple fans are using vs code in the built in terminal can the terminal for Mac be deactivated or replaced like switch over like say we like vs code's terminal can we have that as a default terminal since it's built in?[...]"

-------

Using Visual Studio Code in Terminal:

No. This is not an option. This is because Terminal is based on its own code of syntaxes. Terminal is that of Unicode.

Jul 11, 2024 8:52 PM in response to Macri007

Terminal itself is just a video terminal emulator.

When you open a Terminal window, Terminal automatically launches a command line interpreter – also known as a shell. In recent versions of macOS, the default shell is zsh.

There may be other shells installed such as sh, csh, tcsh, ksh, and bash. Although there is a fair deal of overlap, each shell has its own syntax and built-in functionality. In the Unix and Linux worlds, when people were not fully satisfied with the workings of one shell, they sometimes went off and wrote their own…

You can run a shell by typing its name – or change your default shell using the chsh command. But the choice of shells is limited to Unix/Linux-type ones.

Jul 11, 2024 8:58 PM in response to Macri007

Microsoft did have a version of the Visual Studio development environment for the Mac, but it's going away as of the end of August.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/mac/

"Retiring on August 31, 2024. Learn more."

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/mac/what-happened-to-vs-for-mac?view=vsmac-2022

"While we have decided to retire Visual Studio for Mac, we remain committed to our developers on Mac and .NET MAUI with alternatives like the C# Dev Kit for Visual Studio Code and other extensions you can use to take advantage of our ongoing investments in .NET development."

Jul 12, 2024 7:39 PM in response to Macri007

Macri007 wrote:

but will we still use vs code?

Depends on what you are trying to do.

Many people who develop for the Apple ecosystem – Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc. – use Xcode. That is Apple's integrated development environment (IDE).

Visual Studio Code appears to be designed to help support and push an ecosystem based on Microsoft's .NET platform.

People working with code originally built for other Unix/Linux platforms might install development tools used on those other platforms.

If you are in doubt about what the Microsoft development tools do, I would suggest reading the description and documentation at the Microsoft site. Those tools may or may not provide their own command line environment, but one thing I can say is that they are not going to remove the underlying Unix/Linux-style one. Any tool which intentionally trashed the Mac's native command line environment is one that people would classify as malware.

Can we switch the default terminal to Visual Studio Code in Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.